Forum for Excessive Sweating and Hyperhidrosis
Imprint

iontodevice.com
Iontophoresis vs. Hyperhidrosis

Buy an iontophoresis device

Forum for Iontophoresis Hyperhidrosis and excessive sweating

RegisterRegister  

Is Hyperhidrosis a genetic condition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperhidrosis Forum -> Sweating Hyperhidrosis Discussion

Yes
77%
 77%  [ 42 ]
Sorry, no Idea
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
:

markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Is Hyperhidrosis a genetic condition? Reply with quote

I have heard so many things about this. My opinion is that it is heriditary, so what do you think? (Please poll only when you are really a hyperhidrosis sufferer)
This is my private account, and it is not scanned frequently, for this long waiting times till a reply are natural... for fast & direct contact, send a "private message" to the user "support", i will get notice and can take care immediate ...

Last edited by markus on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
igauresh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: causes of hyperhydrosis Reply with quote

hyperhydrosis is not purely a genetic condition as it can occur due to a lot of reasons. even excessive sympathetic stimulation from over anxiety can cause hyperhydrosis.
cm123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend everyone to complete the following survey. I completed it and they are looking for a cure!

Code:
Research Opportunities: Genetics of Hyperhidrosis Study

Genes are the instuctions that tell our bodies how to work, and they play a role in telling our bodies how much to sweat. Genes are passed down from parent to child and family members share some of the same genes. The goal of studying genes is to identify those genes that are responsible for excessive sweating and ultimately to use this knowledge to find a way to control or cure the excessive sweating in affected individuals.

In order to accomplish this, this study is looking for affected individuals to sign a HIPAA form and an informed consent, to complete a medical and family history form and to submit a sample of their buccal cells. This is accomplished by rinsing the mouth with Scope mouthwash and spitting into a small container. No travel is required and there is no cost to participants. Kits are sent through the mail and a stamped, self addressed envelope is provided for study materials to be returned.

This study is particularly interested in identifying families with multiple affected members, but even isolated individuals are accepted into the study.

The researchers would like to asure you that any materials you submit will be kept confidential. The study research records will be kept confidential and you will not be identified in any written or verbal reports. Although no specific results will be provided to individuals, in the long term they believe their study will improve the lives of families affected by hyperhidrosis.

In exchange for your participation, they will do their best to keep you updated on the results of the studies they do.

Eligibility Requirements

If you answer �YES� to any of the following questions, and live in the US you are probably eligible to participate in this study:

� Has a doctor ever told you that you have �Hyperhidrosis�?

� Do you experience excessive sweating when you are not overheated or in an anxious state?

� Do you experience a sudden increase in the amount of sweat from your hands or feet when stressed?

� When you walk barefoot, do you leave puddles on the floor?

� Do you have any immediate biological relatives who were diagnosed with hyperhidrosis?

Travel not necessary

Contact Information:

Drs. Robert D. Burk and Steven M. Keller
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Ullmann Building Room 515
300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, New York 10461
United States
     877-444-2525 (toll free)
    betsy.vibert-at-einstein-dot-yu-dot-edu

sweathelp-dot-org/English/PFF_Hyperhidrosis_ClinicalTrials_Details.asp?trialID=9
BlackSea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell it's not genetic in our case. Maybe OCD played a role in it, but the treatments for OCD didn't improve the sweating, so it's hard to tell.
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about half of people it seems to be genetic. One surgeon told me that Asians and Jews have a much higher rate of palmar hyperhidrosis than other groups. You can find huge number of Taiwanese (Chinese ethnicity) and Israelis (Jewish ethnicity) who have had ETS.

However, for many people it is not genetic. I know nobody amongst my family members (or even friends from the same ethnic group) who have this condition.
the_chosen_one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main cause is indeed genetic.

Asian Study
"In a recent Asian study they were able to locate the exact location on the gene that is responsible for excessive hand sweating. The exact practical value of that finding is yet to be determined and it will be quite a long time before a genetic solution to the problem could be found."

But as far as I'm concerned, this gene is responsible just for hand sweating.
You can copy-paste the quoted text and search it on the web and you will find many articles about this.
markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperhidrosis and genetics - thanks for your ideas so far, I am very pleased that we have had so many votes and posts in a short time, hope it carrys on Very Happy
May I note that when someone has it in his family before, the % of the risk of getting hyperhidrosis at any age of life seems to be much higher (this is my opinion). On the contrary , I don't believe that if there is ONE family member who has hyperhidrosis, that it is a must for the other family members to have it too.
I think it is the same like many heavy sweaters have problems with akne.

Hyperhidrosis and Akne seem to walk hand in hand

... maybe it is worth to setup another survey about this? Akne is another companion, but different to an accessory symptom like athlete's foot when having sweaty feet.
Athlete's foot is not a must when sweating heavily on the feet, but bacterias and fungus are happy to have a wet climate.
This is my private account, and it is not scanned frequently, for this long waiting times till a reply are natural... for fast & direct contact, send a "private message" to the user "support", i will get notice and can take care immediate ...
Elle Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited hyperhidrosis from my father. His mother had it also. I have 3 children, and so far, none of them have shown symptoms, thank God. My parents, my brother and I all participated in the study that was referenced above. It is easy to do and I'm glad I could help.
MARIA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have severe hyperhidrosis on hands and feet. My parents do not have hyperhidrosis. I have 3 siblings and they do not have hyperhidrosis although one of my sisters does have clamy hands and feet at time, I would define it as hyperhidrosis though. No one else in my extended family has Hyperhidrosis that I know about. I hope I do not pass this on to my children if I ever have any.
lorie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: genetics Reply with quote

I feel Hyperhidrosis is defenatly a genetic condition. I got Hyperhidrosis from my dad whom also had Hyperhidrosis but was not to the extreme as mine. I have a 12 year old son who has not shown signs of Hyperhidrosis yet. I also have a 10 month old who has had sweaty hands and feet since soon after birth. The doctor said he would not diagnose him because he is so young.

The Dr. said he has never seen Hyperhidrosis @ such a young age.

I had never heard of anyone having it so young either, but he definatly shows signs of it. I personly didn't start with Hyperhidrosis until around 12 or 13 years old.

My 10 month old hands and feets sweat a lot.

They sweat when he is hot, but the big give away to me is he sweats when he first wakes up. I know that was always one of the worst times of day for me, was when I woke up. I think that Hyperhidrosis is for sure a genetic disorder, but it may skip generations that is why some people tend to think it is not genetic.

I pray everyday for a cure not just for my own joy but for all the other Hyperhidrosis suferers in the world. No one understands this devistating condition unless your a Hyperhidrosis suferer.

God Bless
Lorie
Elle Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorie, my Hyperhidrosis started soon after birth too. My mom remembers my feet dripping sweat in puddles on the floor while I layed in an infant seat. My 3 children don't show any symptoms yet, but I worry about an adolescent onset for them. I hope and pray for a cure too, for all of us!
richy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: hormonal?? Reply with quote

My hyperhidrosis in my feet didnt start til my early 20s and I think was thinking that it was due to a hormonal change due to some acne medicine that I was taking.

No one else in my family has it that I know of, and I don't have children yet so I can't tell you more than that but I really hope it doesnt effect them too.

lorie, you are definitely right, unless you have Hyperhidrosis, you dont understand how depressing the condition can be...
Sati

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hyperhidrosis has got something to do with genetic. My parents don't have Hyperhidrosis and my two sisters; i haven't seem them sweating at all in my whole life however My sister's Son is exactly like me. He Has Hyperhidrosis as sever as me however His sister doesn't have it at all. Also i have seen that this condition affects male more often than female.
slynn77

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dealing with hyperhidrosis since birth. I have a cousin that delt with it as well, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as mine. I leave puddles of sweat, both hands and feet. I have a 12 son who has made comments about his hands but nothing like mine. My 3 yr daughter feet sweat only when she has socks and shoes on, so I would say that is somewhat normal for now.

Dealing with the sweating has been awful! We use our finger prints often as work and if my hands are sweating the reader won't read right, I then become more upset thus more sweating.
Robert20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the most part it basically is genetic, but there are some cases that it isn't
So one cant say for sure what it is as it can happen to anybody
Sucked that it had to happen to one of us tho
Rachel Potter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dealing with hyperhidrosis since I was about three years old, and I believe that it is genetically passed on.My father sweats more than an average person, but only when he is exerting himself. His sweat is not localized in his hands, feet, and armpits like mine. My older brother does not sweat excessively. My younger brother sweats in patterns and places almost identical to me, and also quite excessively.

Both my younger brother and I also have anxiety. I think it is hard not to be anxious if you are always wet and uncomfortable. The excessive sweating feeds the anxiety, and being anxious makes us sweat more. It is a vicious cycle.
lorie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally relate Rachel! You said it perfect it is a vicious cycle (start sweating..get little anxious..more sweating...more anxious...more sweating..ready to crawl in a hole and hide from the world.

On a positive note this hyperhidrosis machine is a maricle worker!! My hands are dry because I had ETS but my feet have not been dry since before teen years when I started with hyp. I wish I new everyone that has hyperhidrosis so I can tell them about this machine.

Thanks again Marcus and anyone else that brought this machine to us.
wilsonbest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sweating problem.. I don't think so if it is a genetic condition..
Sweating is a part of human and as a human it's normal to us that we are sweating..

More sweats means you are healthy..
davced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is genetic. My father have some problems with sweaty feet and I have been told that his father did sweat a lot too.
dryatlast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: My son had it from day 1 of his life Reply with quote

My mum suffered from the wet palms and when my little boy was born , his little cold wet feet touched my skin and I could have wept as I knew he had it too.

I note that it has not been a problem to my son until now, in his teens, so I think it is heightened with hormonal change - or indeed any stressor.
markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little humans like children or babies sweat like hell on hands and feet. This is because both babies and adults have the same amount of sweat glands. So logically, on a small hand the glands are more concentrated than on a large hand. The result is that they sweat much more, so it is not surprising. Also I think you are right. that hormones and so on can cause a higher sweat level too, you will see in some years if it really was the teenage sweat.
chrisgafford

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that it is somewhat genetic and hereditary. My father, twin brother, and little brother all suffer from hyperhidrosis on their feet. However, their condition is not as serious as mine. Their is managable and mine seems to not be. I'm sad to say that my 9 yr old son already seems to have very sweaty/smelly feet. It breaks my heart. Hopefully his won't be as bad as mine.
support
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, but have you ever tried Iontophoresis to stop foot odor, or is your problem "only" the smell and not the sweat?

Rental plan for iontophoresis

Buy your own home therapy iontophoresis device!

You can reach us from 9am to 5pm !Board time!
mail: info-at-iontophoresisdevice.com

Iontophoresis: WE CARE!

Last edited by support on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
chrisgafford

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PSP500 on its way to me now. I have tried the home made machines and it was effective but uncomfortable. I have high hopes for the Pulsed current machine. Time will tell.
markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All thumbs up Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Excessive Sweating Forum -> Sweating Hyperhidrosis Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Users Memberlist